Tuesday, October 24, 2006

A bad (booo, very bad) way to learn English



After a while in English class at school, the only way to improve your English is to practice by yourself. If reading books was very helpful, I also learnt a lot by watching TV shows I downloaded on the Internet… (ssshhh). It all started with Friends, Six Feet Under and Alias. I remember my sister telling me I would love this last show, but as I missed the beginning, my only chance was to find the season one on the Internet. And so I did. And so I continued. When you love a show, you want to watch it when it airs, and you don’t want to wait a year to watch it IN FRENCH on a French channel. So you download it – by the way, I would pay or watch commercials to watch legally the shows, if I had the possibility to do so – in English, and you learn to understand what it’s about, without the subtitles.

Well, for Friends, it’s quite easy, alright. But when it comes to Alias and their complex technical terms during their meeting, it’s not that simple to get! So I’m pretty sure this practice helped me a lot in my understanding, vocabulary learning, and even pronunciation (even if it’s still far from perfect, but I’ve been said it’s better to keep a little French accent!).

Now that these 3 shows are off, I’m not downloading anymore...

ok, right!

I advise the software Azureus, and the website Isohunt to get the bit-torrent links.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home